I couldn't decide on one thing to blog about today so I'm doing a Mish Mosh which I suppose is like a hodge podge of things.
1) Guess who loves peas? Sweet P, of course! She can't get enough of them and even grabbed the bowl of them off the table because she was ready for more. The Farmer informed me that she wouldn't be able to digest the skins so they'd just come right out and I found out tonight how right he was.
2) Carrots, carrots and more carrots. That's what we have going on here. I bought a bag at Costco. Pshaw, big mistake for my little family of 3. We've got carrots coming out our ears. I've already made Carrot Muffins, carrots for Sweet P, stir fry, soup, two rounds of carrot juice and last night I made Carrot Cake and a Cous Cous Concoction. I'll post those recipes at the end of this post. And I. still. have. more. carrots.
3) Sweet P is over her sickies! Guess who's up next? Me! Yay! (I hope you can smell the sarcasm here). So I've been chugging my Emergen-C and taking Natural Creations Cold/Flu Comp drops. I'm sure it'll just have to run it's course which is what most colds do. And is exactly what Sweet P's did and why I didn't take her to the doctor. I do give her some Natural Creations drops that I picked up from a local pharmacy we found out about from our friend L.
4) Little Miss Sweet P has gotten 5 new teeth this month. Yep, 5! It's no wonder the poor dear was sick. Unfortunately, she has taken to biting my shoulder which hurts like, well, a person with small teeth biting you (imagine a small pinch, hurts right?!).
5) And lastly, we have begun our hunt for our first house. If you're thinking, "Why not build on the farm?" We aren't there just yet. So we're hunting for a house a bit closer to the farm so we can get out there more often. And after last weekend's open houses, we've got a long, long way to go. Pray for us!
And as promised:
Both of the recipes are my own. With the carrot cake, I checked a cookbook to make sure on some of the measurements, but other than that I just went with it.
2 c flour (I used whole wheat)
1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
3 c carrots
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c yogurt (to make it moist, and to omit some oil)
1/2 c vegetable oil
2/3 cup raisins (optional for people like Auntie Rosita)
1/2 c pecans (or other nuts, again optional for people like Auntie K)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1 stick butter (cut in tbsp, softened)
2 1/2 c sifted powdered sugar (or more to taste)
1 tbsp milk (I used soy milk)
1 tsp vanilla
Preheat oven to 350˚.Whisk together eggs and sugars. Add and mix oil and yogurt, then baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour. Fold in carrots, raisins and nuts. Pour into 9x13 pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes.
Soften cream cheese with spatula, add butter, sifted sugar and vanilla and beat on a high speed. Add soy milk and beat until a creamy consistency. Add more soy milk to make it creamier, less to make it thicker. Allow cake to cool, then ice with frosting.
This cake was delish!
Cous Cous Concoction: I came up with this one night when I was bored of our usual stuff.
Boca Chicken patties (or regular chicken for you carnivores)
3 carrots (chopped)
3 mushrooms (chopped)
1 c broccoli (I keep them in floret form, but feel free to chop)
1/2 medium onion
2 tbsp garlic (minced)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp garlic salt
2 or more tbsp olive oil
Add more spices if necessary
Boil 1 1/4 cup of water and 2 tbsp olive oil, add cous cous. Cover and boil 1 minutes. Remove from heat and let sit covered for 5-8 minutes. Fluff with fork. In a pan on medium, heat olive oil. Add minced garlic and onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add carrots, mushrooms and broccoli. Season with spices. Heat Boca chicken patties in the microwave or in a skillet. Dice patties and add to vegetables. Finally, add prepared cous cous and stir until mixed well. Add additional spices if necessary. SO good. Try it. You'll like it.